The EFA 2023 officially ends and we take this opportunity to thank all of you for attending this special conference. We hope you enjoyed the conference as much as we did. A special thank to all the parties who helped us to build this conference for their enthusiasm and motivation. We therefore want to thank track chairs, local committee members, reviewers, session chairs, authors, presenters, discussants, the Finance+Humor team and all participants. A special thanks to our partners for their continuous and generous support.
To view the program you can choose on the below options which includes the online html program, pdf program and smartphone APP program.
Please note that the HTML program will be removed in the end of the year.
The invoice of your conference registration was attached to the confirmation email.
Certificate of attendance
If you need a certificate of attendance, please write us via email at EFA2023@groups.vu.nl.
You can view the photos of the conference on the EFA Flickr Account.
EFA 2023 Best Conference Paper Prize
Reducing Carbon using Regulatory and Financial Market Tools
by Franklin Allen, Adelina Barbalau, and Federica Zeni
The Engelbert Dockner Memorial Prize for the Best Paper by Young Researchers
The Dollar, US Fiscal Capacity and the US Safety Puzzle
by Sun Yong Kim
EFA 2023 Best Poster Award
Investment, Uncertainty, and U-Shaped Return Volatilities
by Kevin Schneider
2023 Pagano and Zechner Prize
The Divergence of ESG Ratings
by Florian Berg, Julian F. Kölbel, Roberto Rigobon
A Quarter Century of Mortgage Risk
by Morris A Davis, William D Larson, Stephen D Oliner, Benjamin R Smith
2023 IQAM Prize
How Does Human Capital Affect Investing? Evidence from University Endowments
by Matteo Binfarè, Gregory Brown, Robert Harris, Christian Lundblad
by Sergey Kovbasyuk, Marco Pagano
2023 Review of Finance Distinguished Referee Awards
- Caroline Flammer
- Dimitriy Muravyev
- Daniel Weagly
EFA Doctoral Tutorial Best Paper Prize
- Arm’s-length creditor rights and firm investment by Martin Kornejew
- Cracks in the Boards: the Opportunity Cost of Governance Homogeneity by Helene Maghin
EFA 2023 Highlights
To celebrate the 50th Annual Meeting, we have two gifts for the EFA community:
- A Nobel laureates panel. Three Nobel laureates will be present at the EFA to discuss the next 50 years of research in financial economics.
- A Finance+Humor program. This program features two rising-star standup comedians from California who both have strong academic backgrounds. There are three activities:
- “Using Humor To Communicate Finance Ideas” workshop (Wednesday,16:30-18:15)
- “Explain It To a Comedian” research outreach interviews (Thursday and Friday, during the conference) | Apply here to get an interview spot.
- “Finance Meets Comedy”: A talk show (Saturday, 13:30-15:30)
The Editor of the Journal of Finance, Professor Antoinette Schoar (MIT), will give the keynote speech on Friday afternoon.
Participants can catch up with one another and broaden their network during the social events in the evening.
- On Wednesday, EFA 2023 opens with a Welcome Reception at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
- On Thursday, there is a Get Together reception at the local modern-art museum (Stedelijk), where you will also have private access to a new exhibition: MODERN — Van Gogh, Rietveld, Léger, and others.
- On Friday, there is a Conference Dinner at the iconic Muziekgebouw.
EFA Travel Grant
The EFA will award a limited number of travel grants to PhD students to attend the conference. The purpose of these grants is to offer students an opportunity to attend presentations and to get to know the community. PhD students are invited to submit their application via the conference management system before the May 22, 2023 midnight Pacific time.
Just after the academic program finishes on Saturday, participants can join a Saturday afternoon tour. These tours have been designed specifically for EFA participants by Toms Travel Tours. For convenience, they will all leave from VU campus. For more information on the tours and how to register for them, please visit this page.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is proud to organize the 50th Annual Meeting of the European Finance Association. The meeting will be held from 16 through 19 August, 2023.
Albert J. Menkveld
EFA 2023 Program Chair
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Local Organizing Team at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Debby S. Tielman
EFA Conference Manager